Monday, July 27, 2009

Stand and Deliver

I'm a long time reader of fantasy, of all kinds, although I've deliberately expanded my grazing range in recent years. For one reason or another, it's been a long time since I read a big fat satisfying fantasy epic that truly delivered on the promise of the back cover blurb. This happens to all of us at some point; my friend Erica has recently blogged about how disappointing it is when a book fails to make good on its promise.

But I can put you on to three books that live up to expectations: The Night Angel Trilogy (The Way of Shadows, Shadow's Edge & Beyond the Shadows) by Brent Weeks. These books deliver. I'm not guaranteeing you'll like them - tastes differ - but you won't feel let down by them. Compelling, gritty, fresh, sweaty-palms page-turning reading. And if you're a writer, even if you don't love them, they serve as a terrific lesson in how to crank up tension through escalating conflict.

What, you're still here? You could be on your way to the book store already.

No comments:

Post a Comment